Thursday, March 03, 2005

Surrender

I'll tell you what friends, (and by friends I mean the 2 people that might read this) the word of the day is brought to you by the letter "s".

Not sassy, or s****y, or sad, or silly, or sword, or any other "s" word you might be thinking of. For me this morning the word is "surrender".

This particular morning I am finding it extra hard to let go of of the trivial things that make up my daily life. I tell myself that God doesn't need those things. Why would he want them?

First let me ask myself the real question, why would he want any part of my life at all!? When compared to a perfect God, my life is (add s-word here) garbage. It makes no sense why he would want to use my life, but whether it makes sense or not, he does.

When looking at it from this perspective, what right do I have to tell God what parts of my life he really wants.

Here is the kicker for me. God wants to make my life his new art-project. Yup, from the same artist that made works of art like the mountains, the oceans, the sky, the universe, and best of all, my wife's hot bod. It says in Ephesians 2:10 that we are God's workmanship.

When I take away part of my life from God, I am tearing off a piece of the canvas he is painting on. If you think this is OK, I suggest going down to your local art gallery and tear off parts of works art that you think are not necessary. (Trust me, this will go down really great!)

So, hesitantly, still attached to the things I love in life, my idols, I give them to God. I give God the idol of TV, I surrender to him the idol of wealth, I surrender to him the idol of being really really ridiculously good looking. I find myself in a place where I no longer attach myself to anything but my Lord and Savior. House, wife, dogs, parents, friends, music, health, gone. They don't matter.

I find in this place that God, out of his infinite mercy and love, returns some of these things to me, but now they are no longer idols but gifts from God. I find myself a person that God is molding through his Holy Spirit to be a work of art in his larger will for the universe, which is an even larger work of art. Out of his infinite creativity he has taken garbage and turned it into priceless art.

Well, now that I am feeling a little more surrendered, time to go do the work that God has put before me this day!

Comments:
go get 'em champ! great post tom... so true.
 
Jevy! Like a warm cup of java in the morning, you fill my veins with an addictive substance. Thanks for the encouragement sir.
 
Timmy, awesome comment! I have those same thoughts many a day.
Cool site. I want one! Tiff
 
Tiffy-poo! You so need to get a blog because both Amy and I agree that this kind of thing is very you. So let me know when you get one. (they are free you know)
 
i appreciate your insights on being created into God's unique piece of artwork...very cool!...makes life seem so exillerating because evey moment can be used as a brush-stroke by the Lord (wow!)
anyways, i stopped by to say right now i am enjoying THE BEST cup of coffee--ever...thanks roomie!
 
What can I say, basement dweller, making coffee is a time honored tradition with its own array of secret methods and rituals. The secret ingredient in mine is ground up coffee beans.
 
Tim! Looks like you're up to 4 readers now. Nice to see you online...
 
Megan, I guess I have you to thank for all this bloginess. (blogyness?) For if you had not given first my wife the sweet, sweet drug of the blog, I would not have partaken as well. This sounds kind of familiar like some bible story or something.

Thanks for being reader number 4!
 
You're a junkie...
 
Do they have a 12-step program for bloggers? Bloggers Anonymous. If they do, sign me up!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?